YELLOW LENTIL || ROASTED FLOUR DUMPLINGS || DAL BAATI
Since I am born and brought up in rajasthan, I am a great fan of rajasthani cuisine, specially Dal Baati and it is my husband’s favourite too. He developed the taste after we got married and I often used to make this rajasthani delicacy for parties to impress my friends.
I got this recipe from one of my rajasthani friend, many many thanks to her. Although, traditionally bati is prepared in a ‘chulah’ or fire oven. I cook bati in an oven as a fire oven is a bit impractical because of all the moving. Though, the flavor of bati is actually enhance when cooked in fire oven. However, I find the oven recipe more practical and realistic as it can be found easily in many households.
Bati is best served with dal, gatte ki sabji and choorma. Traditionally, Ghee makes an important role in the dal baati recipe. It enhances the flavour and taste. lastly, the dal recipe for this dish is called Panchmel Dal . It is a combination of five lentils like urad dal, chana dal and mung dal, masoor daal and arhar daal.
Furthermost, few important tips and suggestions for making Dal Baati . Firstly, to prepare a dough for bati use pure ghee in a generous quantity and make sure a tight and hard dough. This can be achieved by adding a very little water in batches this will make bati very soft. Secondly, use good amount of garlic when tempering a daal this will enhance the taste of daal.
Finally, do visit my blog category Rajasthani cuisine for more such interesting recipes like
- Karonde Mirch Ki Achari Sabzi – A Rajasthani curry
- Rajasthani Besan Parantha
- Jodhpuri Kabuli pulav
- CHICKPEA FLOUR DUMPLINGS IN YOGURT GRAVY ‘ GATTE KI SABJI’
- and so on..
Dal Baati – A Rajasthani DelicacyCourse: MainCuisine: Rajasthani, IndianDifficulty: Medium
Dal Baati -a traditional dish from the state of Rajasthan in India. Hard wheat balls are baked and then eaten with a spicy mix of lentils.
- For Panchmel Daal :
1 cup chana dal /split yellow gram
¾ cup urad dal/ black gram split and husk
1/4 cup moong dal
1/4 cup masoor dal
1/2 cup arhar dal
3 onion , chopped finally
2 tomatoes, chopped finally
2 tsp garam masala powder
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp ginger- garlic paste
2 green chilies , slit lengthwise
2 tbsp cream
4 tbsp ghee/ clarified butter
1 cup coriander leaves chopped finely
- For Bati Dough:
5 cup whole wheat flour , sieved
1 cup ghee/clarify butter melted
1 tbsp curd
- For Panchmel Dal:
- Pressure cook arhar,masoor,urad,moong and chana dal with salt and turmeric powder till it become soft.
- Heat 4 tbsp ghee add cumin seeds, whole red chilli, asafoetida stir and add onion, ginger garlic paste stir well till it turn golden brown and add chopped tomatoes.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala mix well till oil separates add cooked daal in it, simmer till well blended . Gravy should be thick, add cream and serve with bati .
- cream is optional. garnish with coriander and serve with Baati.
- For Baati :
- Knead a dough with flour, ghee, salt and water .
- Roll into lemon sized ball .
- Cover and keep for an hour.
- Grill these balls in preheated oven at 250°c till it turn brown from outside , do not over grill .
- Crumbled bati and pour good amount of ghee on it and serve hot with dal , gatte ki sabji and lehsan ki chutney.
- firstly, adding ghee to bati is very important, else bati may end up hard.
- you can cook bati in oven / cooker or even tandoor.
- you can serve panchmel dal for better combination. dal bati churma tastes great when prepared with fresh ghee.
A Food Blog With Easy to Understand Recipes CLear Discriptions With Pictures And Vedios To Make Restaurent Like Food At Home…
baking basic recipe Bhindi cocktail snacks cottage cheese diet food Dip dry curry easy recipe easy to cook halwa health recipes healthy healthy breakfast healthy breakfast options healthy drink healthy salad healthy salad options how to bake how to cook how to make Indian Breads Indian cuisine indian curries indian curry Indian food indian fudge indian snacks Indian streetfood Indian sweet mango middle eastern mushroom paneer puddings raw mango Refreshing Drink rice salad simple curry stuffed bread stuffed indian flatbread Tahini vegetarian vegetarian food