Mughlai Kofta Curry with step by step photos – delicious and creamy restaurant-style Mughlai kofta curry made with paneer and coconut. It is a rich gravy so best meant for special occasions or for an indulgent weekend lunch or dinner.
This preparation of kofta curry is different from Nargisi Kofta which I have shared in my blog earlier. However, this kofta curry is more like a malai kofta which is also made with Potato and Paneer.
Making any kofta gravy takes time. First, the paneer kofta has to be made and then the gravy or curry. Usually, I prepare everything in one go. But if short of time, you can either make the curry base or the kofta mixture a day before and refrigerate.
You can make the curry first or the kofta first. I prepare the curry first and then prepare the kofta. Then pour the curry into a serving bowl. Place the koftas and then garnish. For special occasions, I add little saffron in half the paneer mixture and create a tricolour. You can also try to do it differently.
Finally, I would like to suggest you few more recipes from my blog
Mughlai Kofta Curry || मुगलई कोफ्ता करीCourse: Hydrabadi cuisine, INDIAN DRY VEGETABLES, Mughlai Cuisine, Paneer Recipes, PARTY MEAL PLANNINGCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Mughlai kofta curry is a traditional north Indian dish. It is best goes with rumali roti or any indian bread.
potatoes …………5 boiled
crumbled paneer………., 4 heaped tbsp
khoya and thick malai
coconut grated…….4 tbsp
cashew nuts chopped ……….4-5
raisins ……..1 tbsp
finely chopped green chillies ……2-3
sugar ………….1/4 tsp
coriander powder ……1tsp
cumin powder ………1tsp
chilli powder ………..1/4 tsp
cardamom powder ….1/2 tsp
Salt To Taste
Oil for frying the koftas
- For the gravy:-
2 medium onions, chopped
3 flakes garlic, crushed
1-inch ginger, crushed
3 large tomatoes, pureed
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp dhania(coriander) powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp powdered poppy seeds
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp ground cashew nuts
½ cup curd+malai mix and whip
- How to make Mughlai kofta / dumplings :
- Boil the potatoes till tender.
- Peel, mash and add salt to taste.
- Keep aside.
- Mix all the other ingredients for the kofta.
- Make rounds of the potato dough and place a little of the prepared mixture in the centre of each round.
- Seal the edges and shape them into stuffed rounds. Deep fry each kofta till golden brown. Drain and keep aside.
- heat a pan and put 1 tbsp oil in it add onion and ginger-garlic in it .cook till colour changes
- Blend together the onions, ginger, garlic and poppy seeds and fry in 3 tbsp of oil till brown and the oil begins to separate.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and the masala powders.
- Add the sugar and the ground peanuts.
- The gravy will begin to thicken.
- Add malai and curd mixture into it.
- Mix in some water if necessary.
- When the gravy comes to a boil, add the koftas.
- Heat through and garnish with crumbled cottage cheese and cream and serve with Indian bread
- In this Mughlai kofta recipe, the koftas should be put in just before eating the dish or else they will turn soggy.
How To Make Mughlai Kofta:
Boil the potatoes till tender. Peel, mash and add salt to taste. Keep aside.
Mix all the other ingredients for the kofta filling and keep aside.
Make rounds of the potato dough and place a little of the prepared mixture in the center of each round.
Seal the edges and shape into stuffed rounds.
Deep fry each kofta till golden brown. Drain and keep aside.