Sabudana Upma or Sago Upma Sabudana khichdi is one of the most popular fasting dishes that is made with sabudana pearls, boiled potatoes, roasted peanuts and a few spices. It is usually made during Hindu fasting days like Navratri, Mahashivratri or Ekadashi.
What Is Sago?
For most of us sabudana has always been a vrat staple, but did you know what it is and how it is extracted. Sago is a complete form of starch and is a pure form of carbs. Sabudana also known as sago or tapioca pearls are made from the roots of the cassava plant. Another name for this plant is tapioca or yuca. It is pretty surprising that sabudana has always been that much-underrated food and there are several doubts and myths associated with its origin.
Healthy v/s Unhealthy
Sago is a complete form of starch and is a pure form of carbs. However, it has a very low quantity of protein, fat, and fibre and lacks many vitamins and minerals. Around 100 grams of sago contains as good as 332 calories. What makes it healthy if its gluten-free composition and is naturally a great source of light carbs. This is the reason this natural grain has always been a part of our religious fasts. Here are a few recipes you can prepare on fasts that too in a much more delicious way.
I would like to add some additional tips, suggestions and variants to the sabudana ki khichadi. Firstly, the soaking time may differ from different types of sabudana pearls. Hence you may have to play with it once or twice to get the correct soaking time. Secondly, with the addition of peanuts, you may also add cashew nuts, almonds and walnuts. The traditional recipe does not entertain these nuts, but as an extension, you may add them.
Moreover, these nuts are not recommended from a fasting perspective and hence you may avoid them. lastly, the recipe is made with less amount of water and ends up with almost no moisture. hence it is recommended to serve it immediately once it is prepared.
SABUDANA UPMA- SAGO KHICHADICourse: BreakfastCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
sabudana upma is one of the most popular fasting dishes that is made with sabudana pearls, boiled potatoes, roasted peanuts and a few spices.
Ghee/ clarify butter………………2 tbsp
cumin seeds ………………1 tsp
rock salt as per taste
- Wash and Soak sabudana overnight in levelled water or till it swells
- Put the pan on fire, add ghee in it add jeera stir till turns golden in colour
- Add ginger and green chilly in it then chop potatoes and carrot finely
- Add potato, carrot in it mix well put salt and black pepper as per taste
- Cover and cook till veggies turn soft
- Now add soaked sabudana in it now you have to be a little careful mix it fast in slow flame
- Till colour change, if you want you can add some fried dry fruits also in it to enhance the taste of upma ……
- garnish with green coriander and serve hot