Indian BASIC White Gravy- I know it may seem a little weird to make a post about gravy… but seriously… this gravy is good! It’s also versatile… it’s great with paneer, vegetables, mushrooms and for koftas too… you can add whatever your heart desires 🙂
White gravy, this curd based gravy is prominent in North Indian Cuisine. This gravy is mainly made of onions, cashew nuts, garlic, curds, fresh cream and ginger.
This gravy is white to off-white in colour and has a very mild taste compared to other Indian gravies. This gravy is richer and creamier than other gravies because of good quantity of cashew nuts and cream
IN ALL THE SPECIAL DELICIOUS GRAVY’S OF INDIAN CUISINE THIS GRAVY IS VERY RICH AND CREAMY AND USED IN SO MANY EXOTIC DISHES SPECIALLY IN MUGHLAI FOOD AND PANEER DELICACIES I MAKE THIS GRAVY IN MANY DIFFERENT WAYS HEAR I SHARE TWO OF MY GRAND MA’S SPECIAL RECIPES……
The main ingredients in white gravy:
Onion – Onion gives gravy a body and sweetness
cashew paste- cashew paste enhance the taste and gives gravy a desired thickness.
curd & cream– curd to add little sourness to the gravy and creme to balance the flavours
Mawa– you can use milk solid /mawa instead of cream
Finally, I would like to suggest you few more recipes from my blog
INDIAN WHITE GRAVYCourse: MainCuisine: Indian, MughlaiDifficulty: Easy
Ingredients (without cream)
Onions quartered 4 large
Cashew-nuts 1 cup
Oil 2 tablespoons
Garlic paste 1 tablespoon
Ginger paste 1 tablespoon
Green cardamoms 2
Green chillies slit 2
Mawa (khoya) grated 1/4 cup
Yogurt whisked 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
White pepper powder 1/2 teaspoon
- INGREDIENTS (WITH CREAM)
onion…………4 large “cut into big pieces”
garlic paste…..1 tbsp
ginger paste…..1/2 tbsp
cashew nuts……..1 cup”socked for one hour”
green cardamom……1 tsp
cinnamon powder…..1/2 tsp
salt ………as per taste
white pepper powder……1/2 tsp
oil…………………….. 2 tbsp
green coriander……2 tbsp
- Place onions in a pan. Add a cup of water and boil till soft. Drain and cool. Grind into a smooth paste.
- Soak the cashewnuts in half cup of warm water for half an hour and grind to a smooth paste. Heat oil in a handi and add boiled onion paste.
- Stir and add garlic paste, ginger, paste, green cardamoms, slit green chillies.
- Stir and add grated mawa and cashewnut paste. Stir. Add half cup of water and mix. Cook on low heat for five to ten minutes.
- Add whisked yogurt, salt and white pepper powder. Stir and cook for a minute. Cool.
- WITH CREAM:-
- Boil onion with one cup of water in a pan till soft. Drain water and cool. Grind into a fine paste.
- Grind cashew nuts also into a fine paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add onion paste into it stir and add garlic and ginger paste in it. Add slit green chilli’s and stir for few minutes.
- Add cinnamon and cardamom powder to it. whisk curd and cream together and add in it.
- now add salt and pepper and adjust seasoning if required .add sugar in it and stir.
- white gravy is ready to use.
- you can use almonds also for almond white gravy and pistachios for pasta green gravy.