Aubergines and tomato parmesan casserole– This Casserole of aubergines is a tasty and cheesy recipe for this vegetable. Aubergines or baingan in Hindi. Baingan Recipe is a delicious recipe that is made with the lighter whitish-green version of the eggplant/ brinjal.
A Friend of mine once told me that you cannot make any exotic dish out of aubergines. seriously she hates brinjal, and I challenged her that if you try this dish you will change your opinion about it. I am sure I succeeded because after having it she asked for the recipe. Aubergines or baingan tomato parmesan casserole is a perfect baked dish for any of your continental menus.
There is a myth about aubergines that it has no medicinal value! When in fact The eggplants are a very rich source of fibre and low soluble carbohydrates. Thus they are highly beneficial for the regulation of blood sugar levels and also to control the absorption of glucose. This makes them the best option for people suffering from type 2 diabetes. It has very high water contents and potassium and is very low in calories this quality of brinjal helps to reduce weight. If you are weight conscious then I will suggest that you reduce the quantity of cheese to half when you make this dish.
Aubergines and tomato Parmesan casseroleCourse: CONTINENTAL FOOD, Let’s Bake
- For aubergines / brinjal
4 long brinjals big
4 tbsp olive oil for shallow fry
2 tsp mix herb
- For the tomato cheese sauce
1 big onion (chopped)
2 tsp chopped garlic
2 green chilli (chopped)
4 large red tomatoes (blanch and chopped)
2 tsp saunf / fennel seed
Salt as per taste
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp olive oil
- For tomatoes
4 big red Tomatoes
2 tsp mixture of salt, pepper and oregano
- For mashed potatoes
3 big boil potatoes
2 tbsp butter
4 tbsp grated cheese
Salt and pepper as per taste
- For topping
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup bread crumbs
50 GM butter
* 1/4 cup cheese ( mozzarella would be better)
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese / processed cheese for all use
* you can use parmesan cheese instead of mozzarella if you want
- How to proceed :
- Cut brinjal horizontally into 11/2″ thick slices. Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry brinjal till golden brown in colour. Sprinkle mix herb and keep aside.
- Also, Cut tomatoes same as brinjal and shallow fry ( do not over fry)in the same pan add little oil if required sprinkle the seasoning mixture and keep it aside.
- For the tomato sauce :
- Heat oil in a pan add fennel seed stir and add chopped onion and garlic in it, mix and cook for a few min, add chilli and chopped tomatoes in it cook for a min and add salt, chilli and sugar. Cook for another 3-4 min and add cheese in it sauce is ready to use.
- For mashed potatoes :
- Mash potatoes properly. Add melted butter and cheese in it, add salt and pepper, mash and mix it properly.
- For topping :
- Crush walnuts and mix in breadcrumbs, add cheese and butter and mix it properly the whole mixture should look like crumbs.
- Get set go…
- Grease a flat baking dish with butter pour half tomato cheese sauce in it and spread it at the base, layer prepared brinjal on top of it, sprinkle a good amount of cheese on it.
- Arrange the second layer of prepared tomatoes, again sprinkle cheese on it and pour the rest of the tomato sauce spread it evenly.
- For the third layer arrange brinjal and tomatoes alternately and topped it with mashed potatoes spread evenly. Topped it with walnuts and breadcrumb mixture dash with little butter and bake at 250*C till topping turn golden brown. Approximately 15 min.
- Serve this casserole with garlic bread.