Dum Aloo– As the title says-stuffed potatoes. A very interesting potato recipe, rich, creamy and delicious too perfect main dish for any dinner party especially for extreme winter days in high lands and for extreme summers when vegetables are generally not available in the market.
Moreover, this potato curry is a rich and creamy potato-based curry that hails from the popular Punjabi cuisine. The recipe is prepared with tomato and onion based sauce with deep-fried stuffed potatoes. This creamy gravy is ideal when served with roti’s or naan but also tastes great with chur chur parantha.
The Stuffed Dum aloo recipe is one of the simple and basic veg curries of India. Potatoes stuffed with paneer and dry fruits and then cooked in creamy shahi gravy.
Which Type Of Potatoes Used?
Market is flooded with verity of potatoes. However, for this specific curry I used medium sized potatoes. I used pahari aloo for this curry The humble potato, abundantly produced in the hilly areas of Himalayan region, popularly known as “pahadi aloo’ is very flavorful and in great demand compared to the potato variety grown in the plains.
Finally, You will find more restaurant-style curries in my blog I had shared exotic potato recipes in my other posts like…
Dum Aloo ( Stuffed Potatoes In Rich Gravy)Course: MainCuisine: North IndianDifficulty: Medium
stuffed dum aloo is a delicious creamy restaurant-style curry which is best goes with roti, paratha or naan.
- For The Stuffed Potatoes
15 medium potatoes
Oil for deep-frying
- For Stuffing Mixture
1/2 cup paneer or cottage cheese
2 tbsp chopped cashew nuts
1 tbsp chopped raisins
1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
salt to taste
- For The Gravy
3 tbsp ghee
2 cloves (laung )
25 mm (1″) stick of cinnamon (dalchini)
2 cardamoms (elaichi)
1 cup fresh tomato puree
3 tbsp fresh cream
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar (optional)
- To Be Ground Into A Paste (for The Gravy)
2 green chillies
2 tsp chopped ginger
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp salt
4 to 5 whole dry Kashmiri red chillies, broken into pieces and soaked in warm and drained
2 tsp chopped garlic
- For the stuffed potatoes
- Peel the potatoes and prick them in a few places.
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai and deep-fry the potatoes till they are cooked.
- Scoop the potatoes and mash the scooped portion and keep aside.
- Stuff the potatoes with the prepared stuffing mixture.
- Apply the mashed potatoes on top to cover and keep them aside.
- For the gravy
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai and add the cloves, cinnamon and cardamoms.
- When they crackle, add the prepared paste and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the cream, salt and sugar and mix well. Simmer for 2 to 3 more minutes and keep aside.
- How to proceed
- Place the potatoes in the hot gravy garnish with green coriander and serve hot with any Indian bread.