Sindhi Kadhi is a delicious recipe from Sindhi cuisine made with a combination of dal and vegetables. It is an everyday recipe that can be served with Sindhi Tuk and Steamed Rice.
One more delicacy from Sindhi cuisine, I was not much aware of Sindhi cuisine before I met Manju, my lovely friend, we promised each other that I will teach her Punjabi food and she will teach me Sindhi as she is superb at it …so every week I will learn one exotic recipe and if I succeed to get that special twinkle in my daughter’s eyes I will share that recipe with you.
All recipes I will share with you are tried and tested and I never post a single recipe before I see that twinkle of appreciation in my husband and daughter’s eyes.
Though I have cheated a bit by replacing a few vegetables as my daughter doesn’t like cluster beans at all so I put France beans instead. And drumsticks are not available in Kashmir so I skipped it. But you can put both. Sindhi kadhi is a mixture of curd and gram flour with a choice of vegetable and tastes a little different from Punjabi kadhi as we put tamarind and tomatoes in it.
Some Tips And Tricks to make perfect Sindhi kadhi:
While adding besan in the oil, add it in small quantity and mix well after each addition. This will make sure there are no lumps in besan.
Fry the besan on medium-low heat and keep stirring throughout otherwise the besan will burn and the kadhi will have a weird taste.
Again while adding water, add in small quantity and whisk well to make a lump-free mixture. You can use a wire whisk to mix while adding water.
Cook the kadhi on medium-low heat and covered so that the vegetables are cooked well.
You can give a second tempering of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing and red chilli powder in the kadhi if you wish to.
You can make sindhi kadhi by using Tuar Dal/ arhar dal too. For that just follow two additional steps:
Pressure cook 1/2 cup toor dal with salt, kokum, and water. Whisk until smooth.
Add the dal after roasting the besan and keep the remaining process the same.
Finally, We can say that Sindhi kadhi is a smooth, silky curry with vegetables and it is made by gently roasting besan or chickpea flour and adding a mixture of dal and vegetables to it.
I am sure you would like to visit few more recipes like :
How To Cook Sindhi KadhiCourse: MainCuisine: Sindhi, IndianDifficulty: Easy
We can say that Sindhi kadhi is a smooth, silky curry with vegetables and it is made by gently roasting besan or chickpea flour and adding a mixture of dal and vegetables to it.
4 tsp …..Gram flour (besan)
4 tbsp ….Oil
2 medium …Potatoes
1/2 tsp ……..Mustard seeds
1/4 tsp ………Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
1/2 tsp……….Cumin seeds
8- 10 …………Curry leaves
8- 10………….Ladyfingers (bhindi)
10-12………..Cluster beans (gawar falli)
2 medium ….Tomatoes,grated
1/4 tsp……….Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp……….Red chili powder
1 tsp…………..Ginger, grated
1 tsp ………….Tamarind pulp
1/4 tsp ………..grated jaggery
Salt as required
- In a heavy-based pan, heat oil, add asafoetida, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and curry leaves.
- Fry till the seeds splutter and then add the ginger and sauté over a high flame to a light brown color.
- Mix in the gram flour and sauté till the mixture tends to collect together.
- Add salt, turmeric, green chilies, and chili powder and mix well.
- Gradually add water, stirring continuously so that no lumps are formed. Bring to a boil.
- Add tomatoes and blend well. Stir in the mixed vegetables and kokum, simmer till the vegetables are cooked through.
- Serve garnished with coriander leaves.
- 1. Jaggery adds a special sweet taste to it. I like it this way if you want a spicy kadhi you can omit it.
- 2. Drumsticks and potatoes take longer to cook, it’s better to cook them separately.
- 3. Carefully add water to gram flour, by mixing it continuously as it tends to thicken very quickly and form lumps.
Asian Cuisine Asian Food breakfast cocktail snacks cottage cheese curry diet food Dip easy recipe easy to cook health recipes healthy healthy breakfast healthy breakfast options healthy drink healthy salad healthy salad options how to bake how to cook how to make Indian Breads indian breakfast Indian cuisine indian curries indian curry Indian food indian snacks Indian streetfood Indian sweet lemon mango mushroom onion paneer parantha puddings Rajasthani cuisine raw mango Refreshing Drink rice salad stuffed bread stuffed indian flatbread vegetarian vegetarian food