Potato Finger With Garlic Flavor:
A little different Indian version of famous potato finger. This spicy version of finger chips will definitely tingle your taste buds and you can surprise your kids who love fast food by this crispy crunchy finger chips.
The taste and crispness of Finger Chips is surprisingly close to the french fries sold in any food joint. And you can make it as spicy as you want instead of having a bland version of it. I am sure your kids will loved it as mine do.
I tried so many different recipes of french fries to get the Mcdonald’s french fries crunch the best I found was this. In this method, the potatoes are kept in cold water for 30 minutes. I actually kept the whole bowl of chopped potatoes with cold water in the fridge. Then drained & dried the potatoes with a napkin and later fried twice. Yes to get that perfect crispy french fries, you need to fry them twice. You can fry the potatoes once if you want, but they will be less crispy.
As a result of being fried twice, these homemade french fries are crisp from outside and soft & tender from inside. the way the french fries should be. I tossed it in little flour and garlic chilli paste in this particular recipe to give it a garlicky twist.
For best results use potatoes which have a high starch content. Russet potatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes, Idaho potatoes are a good choice to make crispy yet tender french fries. Do not use new potatoes or potatoes having less starch.
These potato snacks are perfect for fasting too. Just replace normal salt to Sendha namak / fasting salt. you can have it any day any time.
Lastly, I am sure you would like to try few more such recipes and crispy snacks like
- Midnight Snacks
- Methi Muthia- A Gujarati Snack
- Submarine sandwich / Hero sandwich
- Savory Tarts- A Cocktail Snack
- And so on..
Potato Finger || Finger Chips || Potato Finger With Garlic FlavorCourse: SnacksCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Easy
These homemade french fries are crispy, garlicky and crunchy and best as a side dish. This will be a perfect snack for any birthday party.
- French Fries Ingredients:
Potatoes ……………………2 Big sized
Chilli garlic paste…………1 tbsp
Salt ……………………………1/4 tsp
Red Chilli powder………… 1/2 tsp
All purpose flour…………..2 tbsp
Chickpea flour …………….1 tbsp
Oil to fry
- Then slice the potato in slices having 1 cm thickness. Before slicing, you can remove the top and bottom part of the potato to get a square or rectangle shaped potato.
- Then begin to cut them in sticks having 1 cm width. you can also rinse these potato sticks for a couple of times in water to get rid of the starch.
- In a bowl take 3.5 cups cold water and dunk the potatoes in it. Keep this bowl outside or in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 45 minutes. In a hot and humid climate keep the bowl in the fridge.
- After 30 minutes or 45 minutes, drain the potatoes in a colander.
- Rinse the potatoes with running water. Drain all the water.
- Then place them on clean kitchen cotton napkin.
- Place the second half of the napkin above and press, pat and dry the potatoes. The potatoes have to be completely dried before you begin to fry them.
- Mix Salt and Red Chilli Powder in a small bowl. Keep it aside. Mix both the flours as well and keep aside.
- Sprinkle flour mixture on potato fingers, mix them well . Add chilli garlic paste in it and mix properly so that it coated potatoes well.
- Deep fry the cut potatoes in medium flame until the potatoes turns golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and place these fried potatoes on paper towels to help absorb the excess oil.
- For second fry:
- Now increase the flame to a medium-high or high. Again here for a heavy pan, use a high flame and for a less heavy pan, use a medium-high flame. The oil should be hot on medium to medium-high heat having a temperature of 180 to 185 degrees celsius.
- Add the half fried potatoes to the hot oil. Stirring often begin to fry the potatoes.
- Fry till crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon. place them on paper tissues again to remove the extra oil.
- While still hot, take the french fries in a bowl. Sprinkle with some salt, paprika or red chili flakes, dried herbs or dry rosemary. You can add your choice of herbs and spices.
- Gently shake and toss the bowl so that the salt, herbs etc mix well with them.
- Serve these homemade french fries hot with some any dip or sauce of your choice.
- Use potatoes with a high starch content. Russet, Yukon Gold and Idaho potatoes are a good choice.
- Soaking the potatoes in cold water help them to get crisp nicely and they get evenly fried.
- Rinsing the potatoes in water or cold water helps to remove starch, which can cause the potatoes to stick together during the frying process.
- Alternatively, For crispier french fries you can also soak the potatoes in salt water for several minutes before frying.