Today, I am sharing a very healthy lunch/dinner option i.e. Quinoa Risotto. This super grain quinoa was first introduced to me by my sis-in-law. She bought it for me from Indianapolis, before that I had never ever heard about it. That time it was difficult to find it in regular grocery stores. However, it’s available with big stores now.
About Quinoa :
I read somewhere that few days back quinoa was as mysterious as dark matter. Few could even pronounce the name of this ancient, disk-shaped “super grain” mistakenly calling it kwih-NO-ah (it’s KEEN-wah). It tasted a little strange, home cooks didn’t know what to do with it .
But, now quinoa is everywhere, everyone knows everything about it. You’ll probably recognize its flavor and crunchy texture. When I was told that it’s not a grain at all, but rather a chenopod related to spinach and beets. In fact, i was amazed to know that worldwide demand for quinoa has become so high that many of those who live in the regions of Bolivia where the crop is grown can no longer afford to buy it.
However, My first experience with it was very disappointing as the grain was not cooked properly and it’s taste was pathetic. As I was clueless how to cook and I cooked it as I cook rice, but the result was very different as all vegetables were over cooked and texture became very mashy. I didn’t lose hope and after three four trials I got good results and started experimenting with this “super grain”,
For Quinoa Risotto:
My favorite new quinoa obsession is transforming it into nice risotto. For that,You boil it separately with a little salt on low flame. Now, drain and spread the tender grain on kitchen tissue to dry up. Toss them with seasonings and and vegetable of your choice And enjoy as healthy breakfast.
Moreover, You can use them in salads, stir-fry dishes, pastas or anything else you might be inclined. To finish with toasted bread crumbs or chopped nuts. I used cashew nuts as I love the crunchiness of roasted cashew. To give special flavor to it I added zeerish berries or berberis at the end.
About Zeerish Berries :
Zeerish Berries or berberis (Barberries are small currants that are often used in Persian cooking And have a sweet and tangy taste) These berries are usually eaten to increase the blood level.
They are so tasty and convenient that many people consider them to be their favorite fruit. I am using dry zeerish berries in this risotto as they are little tangy and will increase the flavor of quinoa.
For More such recipes and health tips i am sure you would like to visit my blog category Healthy And Tasty Diet Food :
Firstly, There you will find healthy options of diet food like :
- Quinoa Salad-A Healthy Treat
- Three Grain Upma (tasty and healthy)|पौष्टिक उपमा ।
- Oats Dosa || Healthy Dosa
- And so on..
Secondly, you will find Health Benefits of Indian spices.
Quinoa risotto with zeerish berries and tofuCourse: MainCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Medium
Quinoa Risotto is a very tasty yet healthy lunch or dinner option. Best for those who are following a diet and looking for weight loss.
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 garlic clove, pressed or chopped
4-5 button mushrooms chopped or sliced
1 big capsicum chopped in small square pieces
1 small red or yellow bell pepper cut into small square
1 tomato chopped in small square pieces
1/4 cup tofu cut into small pieces
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp dry barberries or zeerish berries ( soaked in water for 15- 20 min)
7-8 whole cashew nuts
Salt as required , black pepper 1/2 tsp
2 big square pieces of tofu marinated and roasted
3 teaspoons chopped fresh coriander
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp chilli garlic paste
1/2 tsp gram flour
Salt as per taste
A little red chilli powder
- Bring 2 cups salted water to boil in medium saucepan. Add quinoa, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender and water is absorbed, about minutes. Drain excess water and spread it on kitchen towel to dry up properly .
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until onion begins to brown. Add garlic, stir for few seconds. Add mushrooms, bell pepper and capsicum.
- Sauté until mushrooms and vege’s are tender. Add tofu pieces and tomatoes in it.
- Mix all ingredients of marination and marinate tofu in it for 5-6 min , heat I tbsp oil in pan and roast marinated tofu on it till turn golden brown from both the sides. keep aside. Roast cashew in same pan till light brown and crunchy keep aside.
- Mix quinoa into mushroom mixture; season with salt and pepper. Add quinoa, reduce heat to medium-low and mix properly. Add zeerish and mix well.( zeerish or berberis ,Barberries are small currants that are often used in Persian cooking And have a sweet and tangy taste).
- Take out quinoa risotto in serving dish, topped with roasted cashew and
- marinated tofu garnish with green coriander.