Crispy crunchy Potato Baskets !!! We often use these baskets for chaat in India. For that we fry parboiled potatoes and use strainer to give them a shape of basket. Although, I make Potato Baskets very often. But always feel guilty while serving because I know how much calorie I am serving to my family. Last year I tried to bake these in muffin tray and was amazed to see the result. They came out as crisp as fried ones.
The potatoes to be used for making these baskets or nests have to be super starchy.Russet (starchy) This is the potato most people have fixed in their minds as the classic potato. They are ideal baking potatoes and are also good fried and mashed. This image is from web …i just wanted to show you the right potato 🙂
Though, the fried version lasts for days together without losing its crispness, u can only make them 4-5 hours in advance before serving/eating. The baked recipe is really healthy in the sense that not even one teaspoon oil is needed for making the nests. In fact all of us know that boiled potatoes are actually really good for health, so you will have a lot of room for making them slightly more calorific by decking them up with whatever you like.
Potato Basket Topped With Saucy Mushroom & CornCourse: AppetizersCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Medium
Potato Baskets canape snacks are best finger food to serve in any party. They are best finger food for any high tea, They are crispy and healthy.
1 tsp crushed black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
water for boiling
3 tbsp diced carrots
1 tsp oregano
1 tbsp diced tomatoes
1/2 cup boiled corn kernels
2 tbsp fresh mozzarella, cut into small pieces
Salt to taste
1 cup mushroom sauce
Cilantro /Parsley for garnish (optional)
For mushroom sauce ..
1 packet mushrooms
1 cup of cream
½ cup milk
2 tsp corn flour
1 tsp butter
salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan with a lid, boil unpeeled potatoes in lots of water over high heat till just cooked,about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and then refrigerate until cold.
- Meanwhile prepare mushroom sauce and in a small saucepan boil corn kernels and carrots cubes till tender.
- In a small bowl mix the boiled corn,carrot ,diced tomatoes, mozzarella, oregano in mushroom sauce and combine well. Keep in refrigerator .
- Preheat oven to 250C. Lightly grease 6 cups of your muffin sheet.
- Alternatively, you can also make these using mini muffin tray.
- Peel and coarsely grate the potatoes. Gently toss grated potatoes with salt and pepper in a bowl.In each muffin cup,place about 2 heaped tbsp of the potato mixture and press against bottom and up sides.Do not spread or press the mixture too hard else holes will form while baking.
- Bake the potato nests until edges are dark golden, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool the baked nests in muffin sheet for 10 minutes.Thereafter, carefully remove nests from the muffin sheet and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels to set .Leave at room- temperature.
- Just before serving, preheat the oven to 375 F. Remove the paper towel beneath the nests and bake untill the nests are thoroughly heated and crisp.Around 6-9 minutes.
- Transfer the nests to the serving platter.Using a small spoon, tip in the veggie mixture into each potato nest and top each nest with a cilantro/parsley leaf.
- Serve right away !
- Chop the mushrooms and fry them in the butter until they are cooked. Blend half the quantity in blender to make a purée . Leaving rest half in same pan.
- Take out the purée in same pan with rest of the mushroom.
- Add the cream.
- To prevent lumps, add the corn flour to the milk and stir together until smooth.
- Add small amounts of the milk and corn flour mix to the sauce and stir gently with a wooden spoon. Allow the sauce to simmer and it will begin to thicken. Repeat this until the milk and corn flour mix has been used up.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 4tbsp of grated cheese in it. Mushroom sauce is ready to serve.