Hyderabadi Biryani || Vegetable Biryani || Nutri keema biryani
Today I am sharing an Indian Hyderabadi delicacy ” HYDERABADI DUM BIRYANI”
I live in Hyderabad. Hyderabad!! The city of Nawabs, famous for its culinary skills. In fact, delicious dishes like khubani ka Meetha, Kebabs, Dum Biryani all come from Hyderabad. Basically Hyderabadi cuisine consists of non vegetarian dishes like haleem, murg and mutton.
Hyderabadi dum biryani is one of Hyderabad’s finest and has made a mark for itself. The word Biryani comes from a Persian word called ‘Birian’ which means ‘fried before cooking’. The rice is fried in ghee and then boiled with the spices and seasoning. This is what gives it the delicious rich taste.
It is absolutely delightful and most people go out to restaurants to eat it. However, when I was a kid, my mom made the best biryanis at home. In fact, it was sooo good we wouldn’t even think about going out to eat it. Although I made the vegetarian version the taste was as good as the restaurant made biryanis.
My mum used to always tell me, the key to making a really good biryani is patience, care, and attention. There should be no hurry and although cooking a biryani takes up some time, it is absolutely worth the effort. It is one of the richest and grand rice-based dishes from Indian cuisine.
I have been exploring the Hyderabadi Cuisine lately and came across two terms called DUM PUKHT and BARISTA. These two marvels happen to be the secret to the mouth-watering taste of the authentic Hyderabadi Dum Biryani.
What is dum cooking or dum pukht:
Dum pukht is a technique of cooking in steam by not allowing the steam to pass. Dum pukht literally means choking off the steam. The food is kept in a sealed container – usually clay pots (also known as Handi in India). It is then sealed tightly with wheat flour dough. This does not allow the steam to pass. The food gets cooked in its own steam and juices on a slow fire. This in turn infusing the flavors and aroma of its own herbs and spices in the food. Nutrients are not lost in this process and thus the food is nutritious too.
WHAT Is Barista
If you are familiar with Indian food, you have eaten barista (bah-REES-tah): thinly-sliced crispy, golden, deep-fried onions. They are commonly used in Indian kitchens including mine, but strangely I had never heard of this term before.
I have applied these traditional Hyderabadi secrets with my mother’s authentic Hyderabadi dum biryani recipe. I am proud to tell you, I was able to create a flavourful and unimaginably delicious Dum Biryani Recipe. This recipe will take your home-cooked Biryani to the next level!
The subtle flavors of the garam masala, onions, and curd are so infused in the vegetables. Each bite of the vegetable has a waterfall of taste, flavor, and aroma. I can assure you that each bite of this Hyderabadi veg biryani will be heavenly.
How To Make Hyderabadi Veg Biryani Step By Step Recipe
Pick and rinse 1.5 cups (300 grams) basmati rice in running water till the water runs clear of starch. Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes drain the rice and keep aside.
When the rice is soaking prep the other ingredients. Rinse, peel and chop the veggies.
I have used 3 cups mixed veggies including green peas. You can use your choice of mixed vegetables.
- Boil 1/2 cup nutri nugget in 2 cup of water. Add 1/4 tsp of salt while boiling. Till it turn soft, drain and keep aside.
Slice 1 large onion thinly (about 1 heaped cup thinly sliced onion).
Finely chop or crush 10 grams ginger (2 pieces of 2 inch ginger or 1.5 tbsp finely chopped ginger).
Finely chop or crush 5 grams garlic (10 to 12 medium garlic cloves or 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic).
- Slit 3 to 4 green chilies also.
Chop coriander leaves and mint leaves. You should get ⅓ cup each of chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- TO MAKE BARISTA :
In a pan, heat 3 tbsp ghee. Now add the sliced onions. Stir and sauté them on a low to medium flame.
- Onions take a lot of time to cook, so add a pinch of salt to quicken the cooking process.
Sauté the onions till they become golden brown or caramelize. Your BARISTA is ready, keep aside.
- In the same pan Roast, Mix dry fruit of your choice. I added almonds and cashews as my daughter doesn’t like raisins.
- TO MAKE RICE FOR BIRYANI:
Now we need to cook the rice. For cooking rice, you can use any method – microwave or cooking in a pot. For cooking rice in a pot, take a deep bottomed pan. Add 5 cups water and heat the water on a high flame.
When the water becomes hot, add all the spices and ½ tsp salt – 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf), 3 green cardamoms, 3 cloves, 1 black cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon and 2 single strands of mace.
Bring the water to a boil on a high flame. Then add the rice. Just gently stir with a spoon or fork, after you add the rice. Check the taste of water and it should taste slightly salty. If the water is not tasting slightly salty, then add some more salt.
Do not reduce the flame and continue to cook the rice. The rice has to be 75% or ¾ᵗʰ cooked. The rice should not be fully cooked but almost cooked.
Drain the rice in a colander. You can also rinse the rice gently with water so that the grains stop cooking.
- Meanwhile, Take 1/4 th cup of warm milk and add saffron in it to make a yellow milk.
if you don’t have saffron then you can use yellow color for the effect.
- TO MAKE MIX VEG GRAVY FOR BIRYANI
- For Gravy, you need to add khada garam masala like we added in rice. I did not add khada masala in gravy as nobody in my family appreciate that so i added grounded garam masala instead, but if you want to follow traditional way i had included that in recipe. If you also wanted to omit then add powder garam at the end.
In a handi or a pan, heat 3 tbsp ghee. Add the following spices – 1 tsp shah jeera, 1 tej patta, 3 green cardamoms, 3 cloves, 1 black cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon. Sauté the garam masala till they crackle.
Now add the chopped onions. Stir and sauté them on a low to medium flame. Onions take a lot of time to cook, so add a pinch of salt to quicken the cooking process.
add the ginger-garlic paste and sliced green chillies. You can also finely chop the ginger-garlic and add.
- Meanwhile, take 1 cup fresh curd/yogurt (200 grams) in a bowl. Beat the curd with a spoon or whisk till it becomes smooth. keep aside.
Sauté till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away. Add the turmeric and red chili powder. Stir and mix well. Add 1 tbsp of tomato puree.
- Stir well, after adding all the dry masalas, add beaten yogurt/ curd.
Season with salt. Stir again add steamed mix vegetables and nutri nuggets in it. Mix well.
- Add little water, cover and cook for 3-4 min. till all the masala blend properly with vegetables and nutri soaked all the water and become juicy.
- vegetable is ready now. our next step is to make yellow rice.
- TO MAKE SAFFRON RICE :
- Take out 3/4 cup of cooked rice and mix yellow milk ( saffron milk) in it mix well and keep aside.
- LAYERING VEG BIRYANI
- I bake biryani in oven or in microwave if you want to cook on stove top then take a thick bottomed pan otherwise take a oven safe glass bowl.
Now in a thick bottomed pan, layer half of the rice first.
- Then layer half of the vegetable.
- Add one more layer of rice, Sprinkle half of the chopped coriander, mint leaves and saffron milk rice on top, sprinkle some nuts and golden brown onions (Barista).
Layer the remaining gravy. Layer the remainder of the rice. Sprinkle the remaining coriander, mint leaves, saffron milk on the top. Sprinkle 2 tsp of rose water or kewra water. You can make 2 layers or 4 layers like I have done. But do remember that rice should be the last layer.
Sprinkle half of the chopped coriander, mint leaves and saffron milk
- Seal and secure the bowl with flour dough and seal it properly with a lid.
- cook the biryani in preheated oven at 180 degree C. for 20-25 min. you can cook Dum biryani in microwave oven too just microwave it on high for 7-10 min.
If you are using stove then Seal and secure the pot/ handi with same flour dough and then cover the handi /pot with a tight fitting lid.
Take a tava (griddle) and heat it on medium flame. You can begin to preheat the tava when you start assembling the veg biryani.
When the tawa becomes hot, then lower the flame. Keep the sealed veg biryani handi on the tava. Keep the flame to the lowest and cook veg biryani for 25-30 minutes. You can also dum cook veg biryani for the first 15 minutes on direct low flame and then for the last 10 minutes, place the handi on the hot tava and cook on a low flame.
- Whichever way you are using make sure to give a standing time of 6-7 minute and then serve the Dum BIryani.
Serve this delicious Hyderabadi veg biryani With your choice of raita, onion-salad-kachumber, mango pickle, roasted papad. Other accompaniments for this Hyderabadi vegetable biryani are mirchi ka salan and shorba gravy.
HYDERABADI BIRYANICourse: main courseCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Vegetable Dum Biryani is a vegetable biryani cooked with basmati rice, saffron, butter and whole spices. A fantastic winter warmer dish to keep you going.
1.5 cups basmati rice
1 cup water for soaking rice
- PREPARING MIX VEG GRAVY
1/2 cup Nutri nuggets
1.5 cups medium cauliflower florets
2 medium potatoes or ¾ to 1 cup chopped potatoes
1 medium to large carrot or ½ cup chopped carrots
11 to 12 french beans or ¼ cup chopped french beans
8 to 10 white button mushrooms, sliced or chopped, (optional)
1 small to medium green bell pepper
½ cup green peas, fresh or frozen
1 -2 large onion or 1 heaped cup thinly sliced onions
1 large onion chopped
2 pieces of 2 inch ginger or 1.5 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
10 to 12 medium garlic cloves or 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
2 green chilies, slit or sliced
- For cooking biryani rice
3 green cardamoms
1 black cardamom
1 inch cinnamon
1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
2 single mace strands
5 cups water
½ teaspoon salt or add as per taste
- FOR BIRYANI MIX VEG CURRY
3 tablespoons ghee, can use 3 tablespoons oil instead of ghee
1 teaspoon shah jeera (caraway seeds)
1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
3 green cardamoms
1 black cardamon
1 inch cinnamon
1 cup fresh whisked curd or 200 grams (yogurt)
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
water as required
2 tablespoons cashews
1 tablespoons sultanas or raisins
2 tablespoons almonds , raw or blanched, peeled and sliced
salt as required
- For Assembling And Layering Biryani
20 grams coriander leaves or ⅓ cup chopped coriander leaves
5 grams mint leaves or ⅓ cup mint leaves, chopped
4 to 5 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon saffron strands
2 teaspoons kewra water or rose water
- Pick and rinse basmati rice in running water till the water runs clear of starch. Soak the rice in 1 cup of water for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes drain the rice and keep aside.
- When the rice is soaking prep all the veggies and other ingredients. Keep aside.
- cooking rice
- Take a deep bottomed pan. Add 5 cups water and heat the water on a high flame.
- When the water becomes hot, add all the spices and ½ tsp salt – 1 tej patta, 3 green cardamoms, 3 cloves, 1 black cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon, 2 single strands of mace.
- Bring the water to a boil. Then add the rice.
- Just gently stir with a spoon or fork, after you add the rice.
- Do not reduce the flame and continue to cook the rice.
- The rice has to be 75% or ¾th cooked. The rice should not be fully cooked but almost cooked.
- Drain the rice in a colander. Gently fluff and keep aside.
- Making of Brista
- Heat oil in a pan, add sliced onion and fry till they turn golden brown and crisp. Add a pinch of salt to quicken the cooking process.
- Drain them out when done. In same pan add desired dry fruits and roast them till light golden.
- Making Vegetable Biryani Gravy
- In a Handi or a pan, heat 3 tbsp ghee. Add the following spices – 1 tsp shah jeera, 1 tej patta, 3 green cardamoms, 3 cloves, 1 black cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon. Sauté the garam masala till they crackle.
- Now add the onions. Stir and sauté them on a low to medium flame.
- Onions take a lot of time to cook, so add a pinch of salt to quicken the cooking process.
- When the onions are cooking, take 1 cup fresh curd/yogurt in a bowl. Beat the curd with a spoon or whisk till it become smooth.
- Sauté the onions till they become golden brown or caramelize.
- Then add the ginger-garlic paste and sliced green chillies. You can also finely chop the ginger-garlic and add.
- Sauté till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
- Add the turmeric and red chili powder. Stir and mix well.
- Add 1 Tbsp of Biryani masala.
- Next add the chopped veggies. Sauté for a minute or two.
- Add the yogurt. Stir. Then add water.
- Season with salt. Stir again.
- cook till the vegetables are done. Don’t over cook the vegetables.
- Warm 4 to 5 tbsp milk in a microwave or in a small pan on the stove top. Add ¼ tsp of saffron strands. Stir and keep aside.
- The veg biryani gravy should have a medium or slightly thick consistency and should not be watery.
- Layering And Making Veg Biryani
- Now in a thick bottomed pan, layer half of the veg biryani gravy first.
- Then layer half of the rice.
- Sprinkle half of the chopped coriander, mint leaves and saffron milk.
- Layer the remaining veg biryani gravy.
- Layer the remainder of the rice. Sprinkle the remaining coriander, mint leaves, saffron milk on the top. Sprinkle 2 tsp of rose water or kewra water. You can make 2 layers or 4 layers like I have done. But do remember that rice should be the last layer.
- dum cooking veg biryani
- Now seal and secure the pot with aluminium foil. Then cover with a lid. You can also seal the handi with a moist cotton cloth and then cover with the lid.
- Take a tava/griddle and heat it on medium flame.
- When the tawa become hot, then lower the flame. Keep the sealed veg biryani handi on the tava. Keep the flame to the lowest and cook for 25-30 minutes. You can also dum cook veg biryani for the first 15 minutes on direct low flame and then for the last 10 minutes, place the handi on the hot tava and cook on a low flame.
- Once done, give a standing time of 5 to 7 minutes and then serve.
- While serving, make sure you equally serve the vegetables as well as rice.
- Serve the delicious hyderabadi veg biryani with your choice of raita, onion salad, mango pickle, roasted papad. other accompaniments for this biryani are mirchi ka salan and veg shorba gravy.
- For baking veg biryani, you could also preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and then bake the veg biryani in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- You can cook Dum Veg Biryani in the microwave too. cook biryani at micro High for 7-10 min.
- Please remember to use an ovenproof glass utensil like the pyrex bowl for baking in the oven.
- You will have to assemble the vegetable biryani as mentioned above in the ovenproof utensil and then bake it.
- Gulab kheer | Indian Pudding | Prasad recipe
- Baingan Bharta Recipe- Punjabi Style
- Baba Ganoush- Middle Eastern Dip
basic recipe Bhindi breakfast cocktail snacks cottage cheese diet food Dip dry curry easy recipe easy to cook halwa health recipes healthy healthy breakfast healthy breakfast options healthy drink healthy salad healthy salad options how to bake how to cook how to make Indian Breads Indian cuisine indian curries indian curry Indian food indian fudge indian snacks Indian streetfood Indian sweet mango middle eastern mushroom paneer parantha puddings raw mango Refreshing Drink rice salad stuffed bread stuffed indian flatbread Tahini vegetarian vegetarian food