Gulab Kheer- Creamy, delicious, thick, traditional Indian Pudding made with tapioca pearls, sawa rice or barnyard millet, fox nut, milk, sweetener and rose petals. Sabudana is what we called tapioca and makhana to fox nut in India & Kheer refers to an Indian milk pudding. However, Sabudana and Makhana are often used in Indian cooking to make various dishes like pak, vada, khichdi and porridge. The name Gulab refers to rose petals.
Gulab kheer is often made with rice and milk but I am giving this pudding a different twist by adding tapioca, fox nut and millet in it this way this pudding can be easily consumed during fasting. This creamy pudding will give your vrat thali an exotic look.
Gulab Kheer is a perfect fusion of taste and aroma, which can be prepared without putting in many efforts. Here’s how you can make this easy Gulab Kheer in a short period by following some simple steps given below. This delectable kheer recipe is made using full cream and condensed milk along with dry rose petals and rose water.However, This sugary treat deserves a fair chance to be introduced on special occasions that you are planning to host. You just need a few simple ingredients to nail this easy kheer recipe. So, without a further ado prepare this dish and impress your loved ones with a sumptuous kheer.
This Rose pudding or Gulab Kheer is very easy to make: I remember my mom often used to make makhana kheer or sabudana kheer during Navratri and me and my brother use to wait eagerly for the fast so that we can relish that. This Kheer is basically a mixture of that.
You might also like to check these useful posts for fasting days:
- Sama Chawal Upma- For Fasting || Vegan Recipe
- Navratri Prasadam||Poori Chana
- Aloo Ka Halwa- A Devine Prasad
- FOX NUT CHEESE DUMPLINGS IN YOGURT ‘ PANEER MAKHANA KA DAHI VADA’
- SAGO DUMPLINGS IN YOGHURT /sabudana dahi vadas
Can I Include This Kheer In Party Menu?
Yes!! you can easily include this recipe in your party menu. In fact if you want you can use rice instead of millet to make it more simpler. Add more dry fruits to give it a rich look.
Finally, You can check few more recipes from my blog for your dessert menu:
Gulab kheer | Indian Pudding | Prasad recipeCourse: DessertCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Creamy, delicious, thick, traditional Indian Pudding made with tapioca pearls, sawa rice or barnyard millet, fox nut, milk, sweetener and saffron.
2 litres – Milk
1/8 cup 0r 3 tbsp – Samyak rice / barnyard millet
1/2 cup – Makhane / Fox nut
1/4 cup sabudana / tapioca pearls
1/2 cup rose petals
16 green Cardamoms (peeled and powdered )
40 strands – Saffron (soaked in 1/4 cup hot milk)
15 tbsp – Sugar (or as per taste)
15 Almonds (sliced)
1/2 tsp rose water
15- 20 raisins (washed and soaked )
- wash and soak sabudana in leveld water for 1 hr.
- Wash and soak the samak rice in water for 20 minutes.
- Roast the makhanas for 4-5 min. and crush them roughly. keep aside.
- Drain out the water from the rice and sabudana and keep aside.
- Boil the milk in a heavy-bottomed vessel.
- After a boil adds the soaked samayak rice ,soaked sabudana and roasted makhanas. Stirs continuously. Simmer.
- Stir at regular intervals so the rice and sabo does not stick to the bottom of the vessel.
- Add the saffron and cardamoms.
- Boil till the rice is cooked and the milk thickens.
- Add sugar and cook till the sugar dissolves.
- Finely slice the almonds and add it to the kheer. Add soaked raisins and rose water to the kheer cook for 2 more min.
- Serve hot or cold.