Maharashtrian style Lauki Sabji || Bottle Gourd&Cashew nut curry
Maharashtrian Style Dudhi Kajuchi Sonari Amti: A rich bottle gourd dry sabzi made with roasted cashew nuts and homemade sonari masala. Sonari amti an easy recipe that you can easily include in your daily meals or pack in your lunch box. It is a rich curry made with a combination of soft-cooked lauki or bottle gourd, crunchy cashew nuts and roasted peanuts ( you can use either of them but I like to use both). It is made in creamy and rich coconut and gram flour curry.
My Army Diary:
My friend Ashmita introduced this Maharashtrian style curry to me at one of our lunch parties. I liked it so much that I had decided to give it a try. As a matter of fact, I am not a lauki lover. In Fact, bottle gourd was the last option to cook in my house until I tried a few different recipes like lauki paneer ki sabji, besan wali lauki, stuffed lauki and now this Mahrshtrian style lauki. Being in the army we get the opportunity to observe the cultural food diversities. My Maharashtrian friends enlightened me about their cuisine. However, the cooking techniques are simple and bold with flavours. In addition, the use of homemade masalas like guda masala and sonari masala enhances the taste of simple sabji to the next level.
The masala that we have used in this is called the ” Sonari Masala” which is popular in most Maharashtrian cuisines. This masala includes spices like cinnamon, cloves, peppers, cumin and mustard, dry red chillies, coriander seeds etc which are all familiar flavours of the cuisine.
Finally, Not to miss coconut, The typical flavour of coconut enhances the flavour of the dish to the next level. I am a big fan of coconut, I often use coconut milk or fresh coconut to add extra flavour in my dishes. It gives an extra boost to the taste and a tasty twist to a simple day to day recipes.
I like to serve Dudhi Kajuchi Sonari Amti along with Bhakri. However, you can serve it with any Indian flatbread and a Choice of dal for complete lunch.
If you are looking for authentic Maharashtrian food recipes then you can try:
- Firstly, Misal pav ( Maharashtrian cuisine )
- Puran Poli- An Indian Bread
- Dry peanut and garlic chutney
Dudhi Kajuchi Sonari Amti || Lauki Kaju ki SabjiCourse: MainCuisine: Indian, MaharastrianDifficulty: Easy
Dudhi Kajuchi Sonari Amti: A rich bottle gourd dry sabzi made with roasted cashew nuts and homemade sonari masala. It is an easy recipe that you can easily include in your daily meals
1 Bottle gourd (lauki), cut into small pieces
1 Onion, chopped
1-inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
Salt, to taste
2 teaspoons Gram flour (besan)
2 tablespoons Coconut milk
2 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves
5-6 cashews whole
2 Tbsp crushed roasted peanuts* Optional*
- Sonari Masala
2-inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
2 cloves (Laung)
1 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
1 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns
2 Dry Red Chilli,
- Heat a tadka pan with little oil, first roast the spices for the sonari masala including cinnamon stick, cloves, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, whole black peppercorns and dry red chilli.
- Lightly roast them until you can smell the aroma of the spices, this will take about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cool it down and grind it into a powder.
- Heat another big pan with oil, add the cinnamon stick and a pinch of hing, leave it to sizzle for 10 seconds.
- Add curry leaves onions and cashew nuts and saute them until it softens. Add the bottle gourd with a pinch of turmeric powder and salt.
- Saute them for 5 minutes. Add the ground masala paste and coat the bottle gourd well and cover the pan cook for another 10 minutes.
- Cook until the raw smell of the masala goes away. In a separate pan roast besan on low flame add this to the pan and add some water. Mix until the paste thickens. Add coconut milk immediately and switch off the flame and mix. Check for salt and adjust to your palate.
- Garnish it with crushed peanuts and chopped coriander leaves and serve.
baking basic recipe Bhindi chaat cocktail snacks cottage cheese diet food Dip dry curry easy recipe easy to cook halwa health recipes healthy healthy breakfast healthy breakfast options healthy drink healthy salad healthy salad options how to bake how to cook how to make Indian Breads Indian cuisine indian curries indian curry Indian food indian fudge indian snacks Indian streetfood Indian sweet mango middle eastern paneer puddings raw mango Refreshing Drink rice salad simple curry stuffed bread stuffed indian flatbread Tahini vegetarian vegetarian food